Saturday, August 19, 2006

Friday, August 11th

Listened to: Ani Difranco, Stereophonics, Madly off in all Directions, Delerious

Delivered to: 24

Conversations had: Only 1

Moments of Awkwardness: 3

Judgments Passed: 2

Things Learnt: Japan has a word, not a phrase, but one word for death from overwork. Itn happens enough in Japan that they have a word for it. I wrote it down but now I can't read it.

The body is an amazing thing. My Friday route is very much the same every week. On top of all of my deliveries being the same from week to week, I also have lunch at the same place, at the same time, usually with a friend of mine, when he shows up or can make it. I have now found that my body has been trained now. Right after lunch, which I finish at 2 (I have a lot of time to waste on Fridays), I go to an apartment building to deliver to two or three people. In the lobby, there is a washroom. My body now knows that I go to this washroom after I have done my deliveries and begins to signal to me that it is nearing time to, for lack of a better word, evacuate. This is just interesting to me. The body can be trained. I guess it's not much of a surprise considering meal times, amounts of exercise a person is used to, yada yada yada. Anyway, it was neat to me.

Memorable Moments: As I arrived at my work place, I thought I walked passed someone in the parking lot that I knew. They were backing out of their spot. So I waved at them, twice. The second time I waved, they smiled and waved back. It was then that I noticed it was not someone that I knew. It was nice of him to smile and wave though. I felt dumb.

I heard a song title on the radio called "Kitten vs. Pegasus" which is the coolest name I think I've ever heard. Except for one other title about a kitten but I think that was an album title my friend Ian told me about. The Pegasus would totally win that battle, by the way. No contest.

There is a house I deliver to every now and then that has been near impossible to get back to the door. The foliage and greenery was just growing like mad and taking over the whole place. Today, I had to go there and, to my surprise, I found that everything had been cut and trimmed. It looked great. When I got to the back though, there were squishy, moldy apricots all over the ground. While stepping on rotten fruit is not as bad as poo on your shoe, it's still undesirable. So, I had to tiptoe (literally) through this rotten apricot maze just to get this delivery to it's recipient. Then tiptoe back out. I wish I could recommend to people that they clean their yard. But, alas.

On-purpose Moments of Jerkiness: 3. I decided that I would attempt to be a jerk today. I don't know why. Probably because I'm usually not and thought that it might be fun. I wasn't going to be a jerk to co-workers or people that I delivered to. It was to be to others. It was hard. And completely against what I believe and against my nature. But I did three things, from my point of view. I probably didn't do any. I think I purposefully drove really slow for a bit, or turned out of somewhere a long while after I could have. I also opened window blinds that were closed and counted that. Savage. Anyway, I won't do this again but neat experiment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home